Thursday, March 31, 2005

Terri Schiavo and a part of America died today

Terri Schiavo passed away today. The thing most people don't understand. They, as a healthy 30-something say "I wouldn't want to live like that." It's not their decision, it's her decision and there isn't any proof that Terri would like to have been starved to death. All that existed was hearsay of an adulterous husband.

Michael Schiavo is a discrage to mankind. If I were the Schindlers I don't think I would have voluntarily left the room. I would have made them arrest me. Even worse than Michael, I think is George Felos. He is so creepy the way he describes all the events. There are few things I would enjoy more that punching George Felos.

I am disappointed in the Florida legislature, especially those who have "R" next to their name and voted against the bill to save Terri. I was disappointed Jeb went to Greer for "permission" to let the DCF take Terri into custody. I didn't understand why, when it was plainly obvious Greer would say no. After he asked and Greer said no, it was infinitely harder to do so. Either, Jeb didn't want to put an ounce of his political career on the line or he deliberately wanted to have this option killed so he wouldn't have to do any more.

Our politicians ask our soldiers to go and fight in Iraq so that civilians sitting in an office can go home without being bombed. They'll speak of how proud they are, etc, etc. Can't we ask our politicians to be 1/10 as brave? To put a couple of approval rating points on the line?


Michael Schiavo was at his wife's bedside, cradling her, when she died a "calm, peaceful and gentle" death, a stuffed animal under her arm, and flowers arranged
around the room, said his attorney, George Felos. Her parents, Bob and Mary
Schindler, were not at the hospice at the time, he said. "Mr. Schiavo's
overriding concern here was to provide for Terri a peaceful death with dignity," Felos said. "This death was not for the siblings, and not for the spouse and not for the parents. This was for Terri." The feud between the parents and their son-in-law continued even after her death: The Schindlers' advisers complained that Schiavo's brother and sister had been at her bedside a few minutes before the end came, but were not there at the moment of her death because Michael Schiavo would not let them in the room.

"And so his heartless cruelty continues until this very last moment," said the Rev. Frank Pavone, a Roman Catholic priest. He added: "This is not only a death, with all the sadness that brings, but this is a killing, and for that we not only grieve that Terri has passed but we grieve that our nation has allowed such an atrocity as this and we
pray that it will never happen again."

No comments: