Friday, April 08, 2005

Pope John Paul II

Pope John Paul II was laid to rest today in Rome. Over 4 million people turned out for his funeral, including 9 kings & queens, and 70 presidents and prime ministers.

Over the past week, the outpouring of emotion has been magnamous. Why was John Paul loved so, by so many people?

He was energetic in his faith.
He spoke to all people as if they were the most important person in the world.
He deeply believed in his convictions and wasn't moved by pop culture, yet youth loved him more than any pop icon.
He took time to see so many people and countries.
He sought reconciliation between religions and peoples.

Pope John Paul II has been the only Pope ,I have ever known. It is odd to be without him. Unfortunately, by the time I was old enough to appreciate him, he had been stricken with Parkinson's Disease, which made him hard to understand and robbed him of his oratorical vigor and physical energy. I wish I could have seen and heard him in the early 80s. Yet through his illness, he was an example of living with suffering. The disease robbed him of his body, but not his mind.

The following is a tribute in pictures:

















In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.Amen.

No comments: