In an effort to placate Muslims, Britian's government is funding an exhibition known as 1001 Inventions in the Muslim world. Looking at the website, I can quickly see that the exhibition is riddled with fallacies. Let's look:
1. Home: The origins of chess may come from Persia or India, it is not precisely known. What IS known is that chess predates Mohammed, thus chess was not invented by Muslims. Secondly, chess is illegal in many Muslim lands, thus Muslims are given credit for an invention that they now ban.
2. School - Crude Oil is an invention? Is salt an invention? Distallation has been around for 4000 years before Mohammed. "Development of libraries" doesn't give enough information, but the ancient and historic Library of Alexandria was burned from orders from Caliph Umar. That's what you call development! The camera is also now credited to Muslims...much to the surprise of Jacques Daguerre.
3. Market - The carpet. Again, Persian rugs predate Mohammed by a mere 2000 years. Cheese comes from the Middle East, perhaps Egypt, but again predates Mohammed by 2500 years.
4. Town - Public Baths? The Romans had public baths. A kiosk? How you invent a small stand?
5. World: Abbas ibn Firnas's failed attempt at flying? I think his contribution in the history of flight is noteworthy, but its not an invention. I invented the time travel machine. It doesn't work, but I want credit for it.
I could go on, but I don't have the information or time to really examine all of them. There is no doubt that a some Muslims did make some contributions to life or science, like Al-Razi. However, is the fact that he was a Muslim that made him be able to invent these things? The automobile isn't considered "a Christian invention." So why must the organizers slap the label Muslim on the exhibition, especially when many of the supposed Muslim inventions predate Mohmamed? Much of what is discussed would be applicable if they had called it "1001 Contribution to Modern Life from the Middle East." But it's either ignorance or deception to call it otherwise.
No comments:
Post a Comment