Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Taxes and Privacy Violation Disguised as Safety

Democrats and liberals always want to be known as privacy-loving, so why are they always tying to invade our privacy. In Britian, this is known as the nanny state. Now, I don't have a lovefest with Republicans but with regards to the Patriot Act, all we ever heard from Democrats was "invasion of privacy", etc. Houston, with Democratic mayor Bill White, is installing red light traffic cameras, effective September 1st. They will be first located at the intersections listed below.

Now I don't think Bill White, is an invade your privacy kind-of-guy. However, I think he is a stealth tax kinda guy... let's disguise a tax as a safety issue guy. Nonetheless, cameras everywhere are disconcerting invasion of privacy.

The cameras only take pictures of your license plate and then mail you a ticket. Great! However, there are several circumstances where you are not even driving. If you lend someone your car, have it stolen, or perhaps the repairman need to take the car for a test drive. You have to waste lots of time fighting the ticket. What is the light turns yellow at a awkward time and there is a vehicle behind you tailgaiting? If you slam on the brakes you risk getting rear-ended. Finally at least I can sleep well knowing that I can trust the government, never ever ever to reduce the timing of the yellow light in order to catch more people and get more taxes.


North Side
  • JFK at Greens Road


Downtown
  • Brazos at Elgin
    Pease at LaBranch
    Travis at Webster
    Elgin at Milam


Southwest
  • Hillcroft at Richmond
    Richmond at Dunvale
    Hillcroft at Harwin
    Bellaire at Wilcrest


Clear Lake
  • Bay Area Blvd at El Camino Real

No comments: