What Obama Told Phelps when he called:
You've been successful, but you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so talented. There are a lot of talented people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking athletes out there.
If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. If you've got a Gold Medal-- you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The pool didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the swimming pool so that all the athletes could compete in the pool.
(I really just changed a few words from business to athletes. Why do athletes deserve praise for their success, but Obama dismisses the accomplishments of small businessmen?)
No comments:
Post a Comment