Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Like Americans, Hate Bush

Like America/Americans, Hate Bush. This is the European attitude. Over here in Britain, I find almost all British are friendly people and like Americans. Everyone either liked their visit to America or wish to go soon. Many, however, do not like George Bush. The rest are otherwise ambivalent about him. I’ve met a lot of people who can’t wait to “discuss politics with an American.” “Why is Bush so stupid?” is a question I get asked often. Other times I am forced to explain that he is not retarded; he just has a Southern accent and speaks slower. Many can’t fathom how he could have possibly got elected or that 50 million people voted for him. They think that 48 million must regret their vote. The problem only gets worse if you go over to the continent.

Much of it is media driven. The BBC dominates the news with Channel 4 in lockstep. Bookstores are lined with liberal authors such as Michael Moore and Noam Chomsky, while you are hard-pressed to find one conservative book. The culture of Bush-hatred is enormous and dominating. Although there is a big like-Americans, hate Bush syndrome in Europe, they forget that Bush is America….or a big red part of it.

No comments: